American Petroleum Institute. The API mission is to influence public policy in support of a strong, viable U.S. oil and natural gas industry essential to meet the energy needs of consumers in an efficient, environmentally responsible manner
As the U.S. oil and natural gas industry's primary trade association, API:
- Engages in federal and state legislative and regulatory advice that is based on scientific research; technical legal and economic analysis; and public issues communication.
- Provides an industry forum to develop consensus policies and collective action on issues impacting its members.
- Works collaboratively with all industry oil and gas associations, and other organizations, to enhance industry unity and effective in its advocacy.
API also provides the opportunity for standards development, technical cooperation and other activities to improve the industry's competitiveness through sponsorship of self-supporting programs.www.api.org
Founded in 1880 as the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, today ASME International is a nonprofit educational and technical organization serving a worldwide membership of 125,000.
- Conducts one of the world's largest technical publishing operations
- Holds some 30 technical conferences and 200 professional development courses each year
- Sets many industrial and manufacturing standards. www.asme.org